Saturday 9 February 2019

Recommended novel: Zhao Yao

I think this is easily my all time favourite novel that I still go back to even after so many years and novels. I think I've read this novel at least 4 to 6 times lol. There's comedy, a little action and revenge plus such a touching romance, what more could I ask for! Warning, spoilers may be contained in this review!

Also do you guys want a novel vs drama comparison? Pls comment below to let me know, if many of you want it I'll give it a try! If not I may or may not do it since blogging/translating is this is just a side hobby.


The Characters
1. Zhao Yao
I really love her. I like a powerful female lead and admire her carefree personality. I find her liking to be flashy really cute. Her actions and thoughts are realistic. Having been betrayed once, I think it's totally normal for her to conclude that Moqing betrayed her and, blinded by anger, misinterpret his words, leading to hilarious misunderstandings. Furthermore, we come to realise that she is not as ignorant as we thinks she is. She forces herself to be blind to Moqing's affection, constantly pushing it to Moqing's love for Zhiyan's body, but deep down in her heart she knows it is not true. Zhiyan points out that she is afraid of opening up her heart. But eventually, Zhaoyao comes to terms with it. We also find that her memory about the night where she told Moqing that his eyes look like they contain the stars are not entirely accurate...
Another major spoiler: She's not actually dead... Her body is kept by Qin Qianxian (Qin Zhiyan's uncle)

2. Moqing
I think he has got to be one of the most devoted and sweetest ML you can find. He knows early on that Zhaoyao is possessing Zhiyan's body. He had his doubts and confirmed it when Zhaoyao stood up for for Cangling. After he knows that, he takes really good care of her. Even so, he never exposes her because he fears that once he admits to it, she will disappear. Many a times, when Zhaoyao tries to kill him, she feels like he knows what she wants to do. Yes, he knows and he allows it, as long as she will remain by his side. Also, he goes through great lengths for her and his jealousy is cute hahaha. When Zhiyan's body got captured, Zhaoyao appeared in a dream to both her uncle and the doctor of the sect. Moqing find out how the two of them knew of Zhiyan's whereabouts, he gets jealous.
Zhaoyao: Master are you alright?
Moqing: Yes, there's nobody to disturb me in my dreams.
I think one of the most heartbreaking moments is when I found out that Moqing could read Zhaoyao's thoughts (from a mirror/trinket he gifted her). So at the start of the book when she is asking him to be bait, he knows that she is making use of him... and he still goes willingly.
At that time he told her that he could give up everything as long as she is okay and in her mind she retorts that it is because he has nothing in the first place. Moqing uses the rest of the novel to prove that even with everything, he would still give it up for her well-being.

3.Zhiyan
Zhiyan this little cutie, she is sweet and innocent yet sometimes, as an onlooker, can provide accurate insights to push Zhaoyao on. I like how despite of Zhaoyao's sometimes rough treatment, she sticks to her because she knows, like Moqing, that deep down Zhaoyao, is a nice girl and wants to be a good person.

4. Jiang Wu
Well, I actually thought that he might be a 2nd ML when he first appeared but who knew that he would be the hidden last BOSS lol.
PS, Jiang Wu is an inner demon birthed from Qin Zhiyan's uncle, the no.1 most handsome man (lol). Zhaoyao captured him to admire him all night, causing him to develop feelings for her. Anyway, it was a little sad because Moqing was listening to Zhaoyao praise his looks all night and when she released him, went to take a peek and then felt even worse, that Zhaoyao would never want someone as ugly as him.

5. Side characters
I like how the author introduces plot twists and hidden identities throughout the novel to keep things exciting. Minor characters that we think are nothing may play crucial roles such as the little scholar Zhaoyao gets married to (in name) or the helpful older brother she meets in the underworld. Also Moqing is not actually the sect leader's son but his... inner demon who they raise to be so human, the sect leader's wife gives up her life to protect him.

Overall, I think that the novel is amazing and you can see the connection between events and characters throughout the whole entire novel. It's like a beautifully wrapped surprise and we slowly peel off layer after layer to see that events that happen may not be what we see on the surface and some characters are also not who we think they are.

Last but not least, to celebrate Zhaoyao's drama adaptation, I made an MV!!!

5 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this novel so much!!! (I'm reading the English translation because my Mandarin isn't the best). I think it will become my all time favourite too! Also thank you for translating Master is Old, it was a really sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you give me link to the full translation?

      Delete
  2. Muito boas as suas colocações, é o meu drama favorito.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please translate full English sub.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Mo Qing is actually the number 1 handsome man more like he's more beautiful than anyone else. I hope that Zhao Yao reflects on how bad she's treated Mo Qing in the past and present it's so sad that all she's doing is using him and she feels no guilt and her narration in the novel makes it so much worse does she at least tell him she's sorry? I haven't gotten far in the novel so I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete